Steve Crane of Business Link Japan

LATEST NEWS ............... STEVE CRANE AWARDED 'PERSON OF THE YEAR' AT THE BRITISH BUSINESS AWARDS IN JAPAN ...............................

3 Dec 2008

Early rise to catch Shinkansen to Kyoto


It felt like i'd had just 5 minutes sleep when my alarm clock burst into song at 6.00am. I had to catch the 6.57 Shinkansen to Kyoto so no time for a relaxed wake up! Sunshine was already peeping through the crack in the curtains and a hot shower got my blood circulating.

I always enjoy travelling by the world famous 'bullet trains' - the stats never cease to amaze me .... 270 kmh top speed, Tokyo - Kyoto in just over 2 hours, 14 carriages per train with 70 seats in each = 980 seats per train, 136 services per day between Tokyo and Osaka (each way) = a total of 133,000 seats per day. If they average just 50% capacity (and my train was more like 80%) then thats 65,000 people per day travelling between Tokyo and Kansai by Shinkansen. Transport providers around the world should take note - if you invest properly in building the infrastructure people will use it!

No comments: